I remember growing up in upstate NY and just waiting for the time of year when my mom and grandmother would make their delicious rhubarb pies. Years later, when I realized that gluten, dairy, and sugar made my body go a bit cray cray, I figured it was best to retire by rhubarb pie habit.
But, recently, when I came across an article talking about the many health benefits of rhubarb, I decided to give the old rhubarb pie recipe a facelift. Enter my vegan Rhubarb Crisp, high in fiber (easing digestion) and vitamin K (helping to protect against osteoporosis and Alzheimer's), and super duper tasty too!
[Vegan; Gluten Free]
- 3 cups rhubarb mixed (if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries or strawberries (or a mix) ((if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cub favorite gluten free granola mix
- 4 tbsp cold vegan butter
- Coconut cream topping (optional) (one 4 oz can coconut cream, mixed with a tsp coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla, scoop of chia seeds; mixed and refrigerated for at least 1 hr)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly (vegan) butter an 8X8.
- Add fruit directly to the dish and toss with sugar and maple syrup.
- Add oats, nuts, granola, and vegan butter to a mixing bowl and mix until all of the butter is evenly distributed. Distribute evenly over fruit.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve with coconut cream or your favorite vegan ice cream.